How would you like to join one of Cornwall’s leading creative agencies with an impressive track record of 25 years, a historic-warehouse studio in Hayle, and a bright new London office in Clerkenwell?
Salary dependent on experience
What you can expect
We work with a smorgasbord of different clients, large and small, across multiple sectors, so every day is different and exciting.
We love the fact that you have hopes, dreams and a career plan, and we want to help you achieve them all. Constant mentoring, regular hack days and sharing sessions, and the opportunity to attend and speak at training events and conferences are all ways we help make you even more awesome.
Part of the team
Work should be fun, not a chore! We only hire people who fit in with the Nixon family, ensuring a harmonious working environment and cultivating friendships that last beyond home time.
We only work with clients who are passionate about what they do and, more importantly, are nice people, so you’ll get to work with an ever-expanding portfolio of some of the coolest companies in the South West.
We pride ourselves on delivering great work, no matter what, so every project you work on comes with a side order of achievement and generous helpings of “Hell yeah, I made that!”
We’re looking for a developer with:
Attention to detail
We need someone who takes time to review their work, sweats the details and gets it right first time, every time. Attention to detail is what separates a developer from everyone else and if you don’t have it, this job isn’t for you.
Every project comes with its own unique set of hurdles to overcome and it’s our job to find the best solution. We want someone who is at their happiest when they have a problem to solve.
We love good code. No, really, we do. And we want you to love it too. If coding is something you do for fun as well as work, you’ll fit right in.
A love for learning
This is an industry that moves at a dizzying pace. We’re looking for someone who enjoys staying ahead of the pack and in your interview we’ll want to know how you spend time developing your most important asset: you.
What we use every day at work
- Git for version control.
- Craft CMS for client content management systems.
- PHP and node.js for back-end applications.
- LAMP/LEMP hosting stack.
- Node.js, npm, gulp/webpack build process.
- Codebase/DeployHQ for CI.
- Trello for workflow management.
- Slack for team communication.
Your skills and experience
- Strong understanding of mobile-first responsive design and progressive enhancement
- Experience with a back-end web language such as PHP or Python
- Experience with object-oriented programming
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Craft CMS, twig templating language and/or Yii2 PHP framework
- Experience with SQL and database management
- Linux server and hosting management
- Experience using node.js and npm
- A knack for good UX
Some things that are not required:
- Years of experience – we’re not interested in how long you have been a developer but how far you’ve come in that time.
- A computer science-based degree – if you have the skills we’re looking for, we don’t care where you got them. If you have one, great; if not, no worries.
- A GitHub portfolio – we understand not every developer has one, so any examples of past code will do. If you’re unable to provide these, we’ll ask you to complete a short developer test so we can get a feel for how you write code.
- The ability to work from home when required.
- Team social fund and regular team lunches.
- Flexible 24 days’ holiday, plus bank holidays.
- Early 4pm finish on a Friday.
- Dedicated training and conference budget.
- Amazing team of designers, developers, copywriters and project managers.
- Knowledge sharing encouraged with regular workshops, talks and sharing lunches.
- Beautiful converted-warehouse studio in Hayle, a stone’s throw from the beach.
- Designer workspace in Clerkenwell, London’s creative hub.
- A relaxed working environment.
- Tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit provided. Oh, and plenty of biscuits!
- Strong work/life balance ethos.
How to ace your interview
We have a two-stage interview process. The first stage will involve a formal one-hour interview in the studio with the Technical Director and another senior member of the team, where we’ll assess your skillset and ability to do the job. If you’re successful at this stage, you’ll then be invited back for a second – more informal ¬– chat, during which we’ll want to meet the person behind the code and get a feel for how you might fit within the team. If we think that this isn’t the position for you, we’re happy to give constructive feedback and any pointers we may have following the interview.
- Forget any interview techniques you’ve been taught! We want to get to know you as a person and rehearsed interview answers just get in the way of open and honest discussion.
- Our office dress code is smart casual, so you only need to wear a suit or heels if you want to.
- Make sure you turn up on time! We book time out of our diaries to see you, so it’s important you arrive at the agreed time. If, for any reason, you cannot make it or will be delayed, let us know as soon as you can.
- Read the job description. Then read it again. We’ll ask about all of the above points in the interview to make sure you’re the type of person we are after.
- Do your research. It’s really important to us that you understand the company and the kind of work we produce. Make sure you check our website for examples of our work and think about a list of questions you would like to ask us to make sure you really understand what we are about.
- Be yourself and have fun!
The closing date for this post is 22nd June. To apply, please send a copy of your CV and examples of your code to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you don’t have code examples, we will provide a developer test for you to complete prior to your interview. Strictly no agencies.