How would you like to join one of Cornwall’s leading creative agencies with an impressive track record of 25 years, a historic-warehouse studio in Hayle, and a bright new London office in Clerkenwell?
Salary dependent on experience
What you can expect
We work with a smorgasbord of different clients, large and small, across multiple sectors, so every day is different and exciting.
We love the fact that you have hopes, dreams and a career plan, and we want to help you achieve them all. Constant mentoring, regular hack days and sharing sessions, and the opportunity to attend and speak at training events and conferences are all ways we help make you even more awesome.
Part of the team
Work should be fun, not a chore! We only hire people who fit in with the Nixon family, ensuring a harmonious working environment and cultivating friendships that last beyond home time.
We only work with clients who are passionate about what they do and, more importantly, are nice people, so you’ll get to work with an ever-expanding portfolio of some of the coolest companies in the south west.
We pride ourselves on delivering great work, no matter what, so every project you work on comes with a side order of achievement and generous helpings of “Hell yeah, I made that!”
We’re looking for a developer with:
Attention to detail
We need someone who takes time to review their work, sweats the details and gets it right first time, every time. Attention to detail is what separates a developer from everyone else and if you don’t have it, this job isn’t for you.
Every project comes with its own unique set of hurdles to overcome and it’s our job to find the best solution. We want someone who is at their happiest when they have a problem to solve.
We love good code. No, really, we do. And we want you to love it too. If coding is something you do for fun as well as work, you’ll fit right in.
A love for learning
This is an industry that moves at a dizzying pace. We’re looking for someone who enjoys staying ahead of the pack and in your interview we’ll want to know how you spend time developing your most important asset: you.
What we use every day at work
- Git for version control.
- Craft CMS for client content management systems.
- PHP and node.js for back-end applications.
- LAMP/LEMP hosting stack.
- Node.js, npm, gulp/webpack build process.
- Codebase/DeployHQ for CI.
- Trello for workflow management.
- Slack for team communication.
- Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience with SCSS and CSS methodologies such BEM
- Strong understanding of mobile-first responsive design and progressive enhancement
- Experience with object-oriented PHP
- A strong portfolio of beautiful, responsive websites
- Confidence in speaking to groups and running client meetings
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with Craft CMS/twig
- Familiarity with Yii2 PHP framework
- Experience with SQL and database management
- Linux server and hosting management
- Experience using node.js and npm
- Experience building accessible websites
- A knack for good UX
Some things that are not required:
- Years of experience – we’re not interested in how long you have been a developer but how far you’ve come in that time.
- A computer science-based degree – if you have the skills we’re looking for, we don’t care where you got them. If you have one, great; if not, no worries.
- A GitHub portfolio – we understand not every developer has one, so any examples of past code will do.
- The ability to work from home when required.
- Team social fund and regular team lunches.
- Flexible 24 days’ holiday, plus bank holidays.
- Early 4pm finish on a Friday.
- Dedicated training and conference budget.
- Amazing team of designers, developers, copywriters and project managers.
- Knowledge sharing encouraged with regular workshops, talks and sharing lunches.
- Beautiful converted-warehouse studio in Hayle, a stone’s throw from the beach.
- Designer workspace in Clerkenwell, London’s creative hub.
- A relaxed working environment.
- Tea, coffee, juice and fresh fruit provided. Oh, and plenty of biscuits!
- Strong work/life balance ethos.
The closing date for this post is 31st July. To apply, please send a copy of your CV and examples of your code to email@example.com. Strictly no agencies, please.